Been having a bit of trouble with PVZ, primarily because I think it exposes my lack of multitasking/scouting ability (due to the high number of possible variations in the matchup), and also lack of game sense. I am still a noob after all (just started playing in May, and play maybe 3-4 games a week?, am at ~1100 MMR atm).
Anyway, I'm looking for feedback on some high-value next things to focus on as far as scouting/responding in PVZ.
For context, I don't really have a strong read on ZVP builds, other than watching out for speedling runbys and mass muta (which I've died to a few times in the past). I also pretty much only do a +1 speedlot/sair (aka neobisu) build, since it's the only one I've quasi-mastered so far, and am not sure what other builds are good to add to my arsenal.
Anyway, here are two replays that illustrate the struggles I have with scouting and responding.
(attempting to do the) +1 speedlot/sair (aka neobisu) build in both.
Game 1: http://bwreplays.com/ejsdp
* keep probe alive long enough to see natural expo hatch, pool and lings pop.
* lings kill my scouting probe, i see more 2 (i think it was 6), respond by throwing down one more cannon and immediately send out another probe. probe dies before reaching their base, but it nicely delays the lings.
* first sair pops out at ~6 min. scouts lair and spire; see scourge kill my sair
* lings parked outside my natural
* i freak out about the scourge and stay in my base to wait for critical mass of 6+ sairs
* i also remember being a bit suspicious that at +7 min i still haven’t seen any hydra. i’m not used to this.
* my templar archives finishes at ~8:43 (or 59/74). feels late.
* send out 3 sairs to kill overlord parked outside my natural, get sniped by scourge after i kill the overlord
* i send out my +1 speedlots to poke - kill all the lings on the map
* i send out my +1 speedlots with a probe at ~11:50 to take my third. kill all the lings, throw down a pylon. i remember being surprised at how strong the lings were. push the remaining speedlots and 4 goons awkwardly out in front my natural third
* finally have critical-ish mass of 5 sair at 12:29, push out and kill another overlord parked outside my natural third on the far side to protect my third going up. also send out a DT to poke (because i still have no idea where his third and/or fourth bases are). i think i also sent out my speedlots to poke at the map, and at this point (~12:58), he sends a HUGE force of lurkers (1 control group) and speedlings (2 control groups) to my natural. my speedlots get awkwardly intercepted by the incoming force and mostly melt to the lurkers and lings. my goons desperately come back from my third but i forgot to bring my observer out! i throw down 2 (relatively well placed) storms, but it’s just not enough. pretty much everything dies, and it’s pretty much gg here.
i think i lost this game primarily because i was too passive (with scouting and my speedlots), and failed to correctly read and respond to his lurker ling timing. my questions:
* was it a lurker ling build? is that a thing? if so, what were the tells? was it the lack of hydra early on? if i hadn’t chickened out and kept my sair in my base, what should i have been looking for?
* what was the right counter? i’m guessing my low HT count and late obs were a key reason why i lost?
Game 2: http://bwreplays.com/4q9bo
* i scout late lair, i think speedling runby
* macro mistake: missed gas after gate, i think because i was too busy micro-ing/scouting. this holds up the stargate tech, which delays scouting options (lost my probe)
* i hold the first ling rush at ~4.5 mins or so (although it kills one cannon)
* i think it’s over, and resume to fix my broken build order (stargate is super late because no gas, so i’m in the dark)
* i did send my zealot out to scout, perhaps on the wrong path? left the gap open. if i’d sent out another probe to poke, i might have been able to hold (adding more probes too)? but probably should have added more cannons?
* 2 more control groups of speedlings come at me at 6 mins, and i’m toast
i think i lost this game primarily because i failed to correctly predict and respond to a speedling all in. questions:
* was it a speedling allin? if so, what were the tells? was it the late lair + natural expansion hatch?
* what was the appropriate response? (how many) more cannons?
* when the next wave of speedlings came at 6 mins, was there anything i could have done to hold?
* What are some high-value things to try and predict, in general and maybe especially at my level? What are the tells to look for?
* Any tips on getting better at scouting/reading? Should I try and play some ZVPs to get a better feel for things?
Any help/feedback is appreciated!