Winner of the Map of the Month #2!
Map of the Month #2 Finalist!
+ Show Spoiler [Score] +
For a total of 28.8.
Quoting iGrok: "Congrats! This was an easy pick."
Published on: EU, US
Current version: 1.7
+ Show Spoiler [Change Log] +
- Reduced playable map size to 160x160
- Removed ally rules on 2v2 play. Because Blizzard made 2v2 play default on 4 spawn maps a few patches ago, I cannot have any specific rules on 2v2 play as if you play 1v1 in 2v2 mode you will always spawn cross.
So this change removed that.
- Added "lakes" next to high-ground thirds, to narrow the two "lanes" a bit and also make the rush distance a tiny bit longer when going in the open area
- Minor doodads and texturing
- Reshaped 3rds in the middle and also changed the single ramp to two ramps which are closer to the natural ramps
- Textures and doodads changed to accommodate ramp changes
- Fixed problem with mineral placement on the expansions between the rocks
- Changed the ramp to the middle thirds: moved it towards the third and made it a bit more narrow
- Added a few doodads
- Added two critters
- Texture work
- Added water which I had forgot to add
So, I was one of the "losers" of MotM #1 with my last map Beneath the Ice, and that made me want to try again.
This time I went with reflective symmetry instead of rotational, but kept the 45 degree rotation of the map from Beneath the Ice (hard to copy and paste, but that just makes you put more thought into things before you copy )
I had a few concepts which I thought were good, and I threw together a quick map and then posted the map analyzer summary in the Map Collaboration Thread because I was unsure if it was a good layout. I got great feedback (thanks to Samro255am, iGrok and dezi for feedback!) and scrapped that variant to make a new layout which had better flow to it and also didn't have the same "blockyness" as I didn't want to make it a city/space station.
And I thought I should return to the Haven tileset which was the first I worked with, so, here you have it; a four player woodland map with marsh in the middle!
Playable size: 160x160 (it is rotated 45 degrees, which makes this inaccurate because of corners)
Tileset: Haven, with some Aiur mixed in
Xel'Naga Watchtowers: 2 around center
Bases: 12 bases with 8 minerals and 2 geysers each
Trees used: 5 462
+ Show Spoiler [Map Analyzer] +
HQ Overview | HQ Top-down Overview
- Expansions allowing you to expand both towards your enemy or from him
- Backdoor to natural, which when opened results in an additional attack path, as well as expansion path
- LoS blockers to the side outside natural ramp, creating opportunities for surprise attacks or proxies
- Two Xel'naga Watchtowers which cover the middle, but not the 3rds, so scouting is still important even if you still control both watchtowers
- Only 1 creep tumour needed to connect main and natural.
+ Show Spoiler [Rush Distances] +
Main to main:
Short: 148 (close air distance, 72)
Mid: 153 (air distance 116)
Natural to natural:
+ Show Spoiler [Natural with backdoor] +
+ Show Spoiler [Details around natural] +
+ Show Spoiler [Watchtower coverage] +
+ Show Spoiler [3rd and LoS blockers next to natural] +
+ Show Spoiler [Zerg creep spread] +
+ Show Spoiler [Example terran main] +
Comments, critique, criticism and appraisal welcome!