"You can be creative, but I will crush it under the iron fist of my conservative play."
I really like safe openings in PvT and so a wide-range of 2 Gate Robo openings have become my standard builds. In this guide I'm going to be telling you about a build that centres around a Colossus-based push that hits at around 12 to 13 minutes with 1/1 upgrades completed. Dependant on how many Gateways you choose to make for reinforcements and whether or not you choose to cut Probes, this build may or may not be an all-in, but this short guide focuses on the 8 Gateway all-in version of the build.
- 9 Pylon (Chrono Probes 3 Times)
- 13 Gate
- 15 Assimilator
- 16 Pylon
- 18 Cybernetics Core
- 19 Zealot
- 21 Assimilator (2)
- @100% Cybernetics Core: Stalker, Warpgate Research (Chrono)
- @100% Stalker: Sentry
- @100 Gas: Robotics Facility
- @150 Minerals: Gateway
- @100% Sentry: Sentry
- @100% Robotics Facility: Observer
- @400 Minerals: Nexus
- @100% Observer: Observer (2)
- @100% Warpgate Research: Sentry x2
- @150 Minerals: Forge
- @100% Forge: +1 Armour
- @100% Nexus: Assimilator x2 (3)(4)
- @200 Gas: Robotics Bay
- @100% Robotics Bay: Colossus, Extended Thermal Lance, 2x Gateway (3)(4)
- @100% +1 Armour: +1 Weapons
- @100% Colossus: Colossus (2)
- 4x Gateway (5)(6)(7)(8)
- @100% Colossus (2): Colossus (3)
- An alternative opening is to go Zealot, Sentry, Zealot, Sentry out of your initial Gateway, building the Robotics Facility between the first Sentry and the second Zealot. This gives you a Forcefield to use earlier in the game, but leaves you weak to Reaper openings (which are incredibly rare).
- Another alternative opening is to open with two Assimilators on 15 Supply, with each Assimilator being mined with only 2 Probes initially. This allows you to go Zealot, Stalker, Sentry, Sentry from your Gateway much more smoothly. Once there are 16 Probes mining minerals, rally the next two Probes into the Assimilators so that there are 3 mining from each. The rest of the build operates just the same.
- I usually scout pretty early in PvT, but given how safe this opening is and given how quickly you're getting an Observer, you don't really need to Probe scout other than to check for proxy Barracks/Factories/Starports on maps with only 2 spawn locations.
- Get a second Observer if you can't confirm a gasless opening from the Terran. They could be going for Cloaked Banshees and it sucks when your Observer is half-way across the map and a Banshee flies into your base.
- Getting +1 Armour from the Forge before getting +1 Weapons is safer against a variety of Terran 2 base all-ins and pushes. This is because +1 Weapons only really become relevant once you have Colossi out on the field, which you won't have when your first upgrade finishes.
- You should have approximately enough gas for +1 Weapons, Colossus Range and a Colossus when the Robotics Bay finishes.
- Make mostly Stalkers from your Warpgates after starting your first Colossus. Make mostly Zealot/Sentry before this point.
- After starting your second Colossus and making 4 more Gateways, make a proxy Pylon out on the map.
- Move out after your first 8 Gateway warp-in has taken place (which should be a warp-in of mostly Stalkers). If the Terran is still hanging around your natural as part of their Medivac pressure, wait for the 3rd Colossus before moving out on the map.
http://www.twitch.tv/archive/archive_popout?id=314880963 (skip to ~30:00)
I should thank NonY for developing this build because I wouldn't have come up with it on my own. I'm glad that there are still professional-level players out there who are willing to play the game in a safer manner than what's considered "standard" because taking risks really isn't my style.
Also, this is my 2000th post. Yay?!