My first few games doing a really sloppy imitation of the style I was already beating players that had been slaughtering my other playstyles - even though my timings were sloppy as all hell. That was the moment I knew this was something Protoss would have a hard time reacting to and went and wrote down all the timings and studied up on the build. I'm confident this is one of the best ways to put reasonably low risk pressure onto Protoss whilst building a great economy and teching very fast behind it.
Starleague Finals VoDs: http://sc2casts.com/cast19363-Stats-vs-SKT.Dark-Best-of-7-2016-StarLeague-S1-Finals
I Did a group coaching session where I run through most of the key points in the style:
For the opening I'm confident you can make this work off 3-hatch before pool, however because the ovie speed hits later it's a little more awkward reacting to very fast oracles, dts etc. If you opt for that build I'd advise taking the 2nd gas earlier alongside the slightly delayed evo + bane nest, all at 4:00. If you want to open up with a threatening 17 gas 17 pool opening check out the VoD on map 6 on Lerilak where Dark does this - knowing that Stats will be paranoid about the roach-ling timing he crushed him with in the Upper Bracket finals.
Hatch gas pool hatch Opening
- 20 3rd hatch
- Queen from natural
- Don’t pull off gas
- 25 ovie
- 28 queen
- 3rd queen from 3rd hatch (36 supply, 3:10)
- Ovie speed
- 3:50 evo + bane nest → straight into +1 melee (1- gas and 2-bases fully saturated)
- 4:20 2nd gas (when we start +1 melee)
- Ovie morphs in corner so phenix doesn’t find it
Note that on Map 2 - Prion, Dark stops his econ here and hits a huge hatch-tech 35-drone speedling-baneling + queen drop timing which also looked very intimidating.
- 5:00 4th base + Lair (3-bases saturated and 2 gases)
- As we oversaturate our minerals off that first 2 gases, we add the next 4 gases steadily
- @Lair - infestation, 2nd evo and bane speed
- @infestation build Hive + Spire immediately
- Saturate 4th base then mass lingbane
- No infestors
- VS phenix: Go up to 7 queens AND, delay 2nd gas to afford spores, then take 2nd and 3rd gas @5:00
- 85 drones - fully saturated 4th base and a relatively fast 5th for gas/larva
- Que up extra injects on our 4th base and 5th base
- Go straight to broodlords, building corrupters when greater spire is 50%
This style might get "figured out" and not be completely viable as a mainstay ZvP strategy in a few months time, but for now it feels bloody powerful, and I have a feeling even if it goes out of fashion temporarily, it'll be back .
As always post any questions below and over the coming weeks I'll add a FAQ below here where I organise the useful discussion from the thread.