PiG Daily Articles
Welcome to the PiG Daily strategy article! The PiG Daily is a show by Jared "PiG" Krensel that focuses on StarCraft 2 strategy and becoming a better player. We've joined forces to create an article series that summarizes his dailies into short, digestible articles that provide insight on builds, tactics and game sense. By combining with Spawning Tool, this series will bring you the most comprehensive learning experience for build orders and strategies.
How to use Spawning Tool
We highly recommend using Spawning Tool in order to follow the basics of these builds. The PiG Daily and our strategy articles will serve as supplementary guides to understand the subtleties behind each decision.
On this installment, PiG explains how to wrestle the initiative back as zerg in the ZvT matchup. While zergs often play the reactionary race, it's also possible to put on pressure while not sacrificing your economy back home. ByuL's roach ravager pressure is the perfect way to hold off initial harassment while putting pressure across the map.
Link to the Spawning Tool Build
ByuL's Anti-Hellion Roach Ravager Pressure
Terrans have experimented with just about every unit in order to pressure zergs and stop their droning, but one unit that can cause havoc more than any other is the hellion. Just a few seconds of inattention can lead to a whole roast of drones, and players high and low (in MMR) have been caught either unawares or overreacting to the sight of hellions rolling across the map.
This build is a modern take on early roach pressure builds from way back. It wrestled the initiative from would-be hellion harrassers while transitioning smoothly into the mid game.
Anti-hellion roach ravager pressure
|17||Hatchery||2 zerglings + a queen||Zergling Speed and leave drones on gas||3 more queens as money allows||@100% natural hatchery -> pull 2 drones off gas|
|36||3rd base||~3:30 put drones back on gas||~3:35 (~47 supply) get your roach warren and 2x gasses||@100% roach warren -> 7 roaches|
|70||(~4:30) 2x evolution chambers||Melee Carapace upgrades|
- While this build is tailored to counter hellion openings, it can defend just about anything. However, it is important to keep scouting due to the mobility of hellions and the possible lack of vision due to overlords being cleared up by vikings. You don't want to over-prepare for a hellion runby only to be surprised by liberators or a mine drop from unexpected angles.
- If the terran is being greedier than a fat leprechaun behind his initial hellion squad, it is possible to do heavy or crippling damage. However, most terrans will err on the side of caution and tech up to liberators, siege tanks or mines, and this light investment ensures they stay on their side of the map.
- One of the best things about this attack is the timing when it hits. The roaches arrive before most terrans are comfortable heading out with their harassment force, and it will often result in a huge overreaction. If the build of choice was hellions, then he will be forced to switch his tech in order to defend what could be an all-in.
- Once the terran is pinned in his base—building units and not being greedy—it's time to go back into macro mode. However, if the terran takes your units lightly or overcommits, it is possible to get away with killing depots, ebays, or even break the wall entirely.
- Never overcommit with your units unless you can do massive damage. You need to have units on his side of the map so that the terran pisses off.
Byul’s Shoutcraft Kings games
ByuL hits at 5:30 even after getting overlord speed and walking across the map. He has 48 drones as he attacks.
In this game, he launches his assault at the same time but with more drones but no overlord speed.
Byul’s GSL Games
In game 1 against aLive, it showed that aLive did not do his homework. When the hellion overcommit and score little damage, ByuL sees the opportunity to go for broke. He masses lings and attacks, knowing that there are no more hellions behind the wall and that there was a good chance he'd be able to break the front with a large commitment.
In game 3, ByuL repeats the build but only nets the ebays. Still a worthwhile investment.
Brought to you by the TL Strategy Team
Writer: PiG/TL Strategy
Writer: PiG/TL Strategy