PiG Daily Articles
Welcome to the PiG Daily strategy article! The PiG Daily is a show by Jared "PiG" Krensel that focuses on StarCraft 2 strategy and becoming a better player. We've joined forces to create an article series that summarizes his dailies into short, digestible articles that provide insight on builds, tactics and game sense. By combining with Spawning Tool, this series will bring you the most comprehensive learning experience for build orders and strategies.
How to use Spawning Tool
We highly recommend using Spawning Tool in order to follow the basics of these builds. The PiG Daily and our strategy articles will serve as supplementary guides to understand the subtleties behind each decision.
The proxy is one of the highest risk/reward plays in all of StarCraft. On the one hand, attacks can come unexpectedly and at devastating timings. On the other hand, once spotted, many games are already over. The proxy oracle is one of the most common such openings we continue to see from top protoss, especially when they struggle in PvT.
Link to the Spawning Tool Build
Proxy Stargate Oracle Opening in PvT
This is a build that puts a lot of pressure on the terran to execute their opening perfectly, scout diligently, and defend efficiently. One wrong move and the terran can either fall far behind or leave the early game crippled beyond recovery. If the terran goes on autopilot, they will usually end up worse for wear. Defending the proxy oracle requires a lot of forethought and strict reactions, and even the best defenses come at a cost. The savvy protoss player can then take advantage of these small leads in order to set up a strong mid-game.
Proxy Stargate Oracle
|16||Gas||Send your probe out to the proxy location right after dropping gas|
|19||2nd pylon (proxied)||@100% cybercore -> DELAY warpgate research||Get your Mothership Core (chrono)||2x adepts||~2:05 proxy your stargate||@50 Gas -> Warpgate research when you can afford it.||Pylon at home||Try to pylon rush with 2 pylons, adepts and the MSCore||@100% stargate -> oracle (chrono)||2 more oracles, then a voidray||~3:00 or 34/39 supply, take your natural nexus||Add 3 more gateways|
Depending on the amount of damage inflicted and the response of the terran, you could very well go for any transition you want. You could add phoenixes if you stargate is secure and combine it with Glaives and Blink. You could opt for a strong mid-game and look for big engagements with adept/immortal/sentry. Or, you could continue to harass with Blink and phoenixes.
Notes and Execution
- If you're feeling risky, you can get a zealot first and send it across the map. It can pressure the front and disrupt the bunker from going up on the lowground, but it's a pretty huge tell that something's up.
- If there's a 2nd reaper, leave your 2nd adept at home.
- Don't forget the pylon after you start the Mothership Core, adept, and stargate. Supply blocked proxy oracle = herpy derpy.
- During the pylon rush, make sure that you place them in range of the add-ons.
- If you have trouble losing your probe during the rush, you can bring a second probe.
- Remember, the reaper pops at ~2:00 in a normal build, so you can use this knowledge to predict where it will be to avoid it or catch it on the map.
- Shade your first adept across the map as soon as possible. It can stop the bunker from going up on the lowground.
- If they find your stargate and they leave the reaper to try and de-power it, drop another pylon to ensure it stays powered.
- There is no need to prioritize your warpgate until your proxy is in place. The proxy is the crux of this build, and warpgate should only be afforded the 50 gas when you can squeeze it in, which is usually a little after the stargate is in place.
- It sounds risky to get 3 oracles while staying on a single gateway, but the terran will need to invest all of his anti air on defending the oracles. With the amount of information you have on his base, you'll be able to tell when you need to squeeze in earlier gateways.
- Don't forget to probe up behind your oracle harassment. Oracles will rarely end the game outright, so it's important that you maintain constant production to solidify your lead.
- If you do a lot of damage (especially to their marine count) while preserving your oracles, take a third base as soon as you can. They can't move out while the oracles are still in the air.
On 4 Player Maps
This build is still viable on 4 player maps. Most players don't expect a proxy on maps with multiple spawn locations, but you only need to make a few adjustments in order to make it work.
- Find a central area away from common scouting paths that is near equidistant to all possible enemy spawns.
- Most players scout late on big maps and prioritize finding your spawn location first; just make sure they don't spot your probes heading in suspicious directions.
- You will need to find them as soon as possible, so scout with your probe after dropping the proxy stargate. You will have to send another probe from your base to find their spawn and support the first probe during the pylon rush.
Brought to you by the TL Strategy Team
Writer: PiG/TL Strategy
Writer: PiG/TL Strategy