PiG Daily Articles
Welcome to the PiG Daily strategy article! The PiG Daily is a show by Jared "PiG" Krensel that focuses on StarCraft 2 strategy and becoming a better player. We've joined forces to create an article series that summarizes his dailies into short, digestible articles that provide insight on builds, tactics and game sense. By combining with Spawning Tool, this series will bring you the most comprehensive learning experience for build orders and strategies.
How to use Spawning Tool
We highly recommend using Spawning Tool in order to follow the basics of these builds. The PiG Daily and our strategy articles will serve as supplementary guides to understand the subtleties behind each decision.
In our previous installment, we taught zergs how to bust down the door on unsuspecting terrans. The 1-base ravager all-in has been a menace for terran players since it became popular:
Terran players when the map first came out:
Now, we go over to the flip side and explain how to defend it properly.
Link to the Spawning Tool Build
Defending 1-Base Ravager TvZ
Defending 1-base ravager
|@100% barracks -> scout with SCV|
|19||Reaper + orbital|
|SCV: "NO ZERG NATURAL OMG ROACH WARREN WHAT COULD THIS BE?"|
|Move the barracks away from your wall|
|Immediately build a bunker at the ramp|
|Constant marine production (no reactor)|
|@100% factory -> tech lab|
|2nd bunker behind barracks/factory as fallback point|
|Reapers use grenades to slow down/damage ravagers|
|Float natural CC into main base|
|4 SCVs to repair|
|Another 4 a bit later as they get to 5-7 ravagers|
|Eventually they will be able to 1-shot it and SCVs can go back to mine, though you might want to leave some to help buffer if the ravagers try to dive up your ramp|
|PLACE TANK WHERE BILE CAN'T HIT FROM LOWGROUND|
|Eventually run the reaper out and across the map if you can spare it to counterattack the zerg mineral line|
A recent and excellent example of how to defend the ravager rush comes from the BaseTradeTV Star League. The all-in was executed by Leenock, famous for his early timings and weird attacks, on Paladino Terminale, one of the smallest maps in recent memory. Unfortunately for the zerg, the terran KeeN knew exactly what to do.
- Always SCV scout as the barracks finishes at the latest or it’ll be very tough to defend
- Delay your orbital in your natural expansion
- Tank ASAP
- Mass repair to buy time until tank is up
Placement Your Defense
- Your tank can’t be in range of lowground bile.
- Your 2nd bunker can’t be in range of lowground bile either.
- Once you have the tank and 2nd bunker, your wall will likely be forfeit from 1-shot biles. You want to force the zerg to come up the ramp into marine/tank fire to throw biles onto your defenses — otherwise once 7+ ravagers are out the zerg will just destroy the bunker or tank from the lowground for free.
- Do not put your barracks or factory in the wall to beef it up. They'll be sitting ducks. Keep them as your second line of defense along with your 2nd bunker and tank.
Delay, Delay, Delay
- Remember the ultimate purpose of your first bunker and depot wall: to buy time! You have so little firepower this early that you can’t let the zerg into your base. You WILL lose these structures.
- Make sure you build extra depots at the back of your mineral line before the depots go down so you're not supply blocked once you're able to build your tank.
- Repairing is important! Have your SCVs repair your structures whenever they take damage, but pull back when they're idle so they don't get hit by biles.
- If your wall falls prematurely, buffer for your units with SCVs. Remember: you have two CCs and he has one hatchery with few drones. You can lose SCVs and come out ahead.
Here is INnoVation holding the 12 pool, non all-in version with cyclones. Unfortunately, it is paywall'd, but you can subscribe and supper INnoVation to see the VOD.
This attack hits earlier but weaker, especially on a map with a longer rush distance. INnoVation reacts with reactored cyclones and holds it off masterfully.
While this looks like a more than adequate defense, I am confident that a zerg could break this with a more committed version, since 6-7 ravagers micro exceptionally well vs cyclones and marines. The barracks and factory are also exposed to biles. While a successful defense with this style is possible, a tank is still the preferred method of defense.
Brought to you by the TL Strategy Team
Writer: PiG/TL Strategy
Writer: PiG/TL Strategy