It seems to me that the siege tank is not a unit that sees much action anymore. It's been nerfed by blizzard to the point where we don't see terrible damage like we did in BW. I'd like to propose a change that would make the siege tank even more exciting to watch as a spectator and more viable in high level play.
The mortar in WC3 was a unit that did lots of damage. However, the projectiles shot a bit too fast and they were not really dodgeable. However, if we rethink the concept of projectiles, I think we could make it work in SC2. And of course they would be dodgeable, so the micro factor would be there, however the radius would be large enough that it would not be too easy for even progamers if there were a lot of siege tanks attacking at the same time.
In addition, the fact that the projectiles are dodgeable would make it so Blizzard would be ok with increasing the damage to a nice level.
Video of the mortar team:
What I propose is this:
1. Give the siege tank projectile weaponry
2. Make it do splash damage with a 2.0 radius
3. Give it a projectile speed of 6.25
4. Increase the projectile range of 17 in siege mode
5. Make the projectile damage equal to 70 within a 1.5 radius, and 40 damage for the outside 0.5 radius.
6. Give the projectiles a unit size equivalent to the battle hellion with a cannon shell-like design.
I am sure that this would make the siege tank a more used and fun unit to watch, regardless of whether or not mech is used.
Thank you for taking the time to read this thread. Please share your thoughts!
Also, since HOTS beta is the testing ground for reworking older units, if someone could please post this thread in the HOTS section of blizz forums I would appreciate it. I don't have a beta key!