In this post, I will demonstrate how to effectively gain vision over any ramp that has been forcefielded once with the help of only one low energy sentry. Practically, this means that any Blink all-in build in PvP will be able to blink in your main at 7:00-7:10 provided that only one forcefield is used.
Good Protoss players know that there is only one way to correctly place an FF on your ramp when dealing with a blink all-in.
- If placed too high (1), a single zealot or probe moved to a corner of the FF will gain high ground vision (trying this with a stalker will cause the vision to glitch on and off and you will be unable to blink in). A stalker forcefielded at the corner of the first forcefield will aslo gain vision in this configuration.
- If placed too low (2), stalkers are able to blink over and provide vision
- (3) is the only correct way to place your FF to deny vision up the ramp
After extensive testing, I have figured out a way to gain vision, even if the FF is in position (3).
I use a zealot in this video but it also works with a stalker
- Place your zealot or stalker in the corner of the FF and hold position (so he doesn't move back when units shoot at him)
- Forcefield right behind him so the border of your own forcefield reaches the middle of the ramp while still trapping your zealot
- Wait for his first FF to wear off and blink up the ramp
This technique works as long as your zealot/stalker doesn't get killed by the units on top of the ramp (send your zealot 8-10 seconds after the initial FF to minimize exposed time). It works even if your opponent stacks his FF. Seemingly, earlier FFs have priority over later FFs when deciding by which FF the zealot is going to be pushed.
Practical uses include improved 4 gating if your opponent uses positions (1) or (3) to FF his ramp, or improved blink all-ins against Stargate builds or greedy tech builds.
Example of pro games (SPL) where this could have been used to change the outcome of the game:
HerO vs Rain @7:15 ingame time
Mini vs Wookie @7:10 ingame time
4 gate considerations: This technique can also be used to 4 gate in PvP, however this will not work if opponent places his FF as in (2) or lower.