soO and Stats had already locked up Round of 4 spots, but there were still two more yet to be determined. Dark and Zest faced off in the first quarterfinal of the day, while Maru and sOs would play right after to determine the fourth semifinalist.
Quarterfinal 3: Dark 3 - 1 Zest
- Game 1: Dark planted his third hatchery at Zest's third, beginning a ravager, queen and spore crawler siege that lasted more than five minutes. Zest defended valiantly with void rays and gateway units, but kept losing ground to corrosive biles. It took losing nearly all his workers and his natural expansion for him to finally tap out.
- Game 2: Dark macroed up to four bases on Blackpink, but a large zealot warpin in his main unlocked his defense, allowing Zest to kill his fourth. The game returned to a passive state, but Zest repeated the trick, killing a spire this time. Dark's aggression was shut down at every turn. Another warp in from Zest gutted Dark’s main, eliciting a concession.
- Game 3: Zest opened with three oracles on Odyssey, but Dark established himself on four bases largely unhindered. He built up a massive hydra/bane army, sweeping through Zest's building fourth base before taking the game.
- Game 4: Abyssal Reef saw another Zerg vs skytoss affair. Dark called upon infestors, vipers, brood lords and corruptors while Zest took his side of the map on carrier/storm. Zest made good use of recall to prevent Dark from taking every expansion, but after losing his mothership for a second time, Zest found himself down 100 supply. Facing Dark’s massive army and formidable bank, he conceded soon after, giving Dark the match.
Quarterfinal 4: Maru 3 - 2 sOs
- Game 1: sOs expanded to the gold base on Neon Violet Square, but Maru took the wind out of his sails with a cyclone/mine/marine drop. The players moved into a macro game, with sOs making the first move. A warpin in Maru's main and an immortal bust at his natural were enough to put sOs up 1-0.
- Game 2: Maru's double medivac drop unpowered sOs' robo and twilight council as well killing a number of stalkers, giving Maru a supply lead. It only grew from there as colossus after colossus fell to Maru's bio. The game came to an end with a vintage Maru engagement, as he completed surrounded a beleaguered sOs to tie the series.
- Game 3: Game three was a brisk affair as sOs’ 52 probe adept all in put him up 2-1.
- Game 4: Maru proxied a factory on Abyssal Reef, pumping out reactored cyclones. sOs lost his natural. He re-expanded and crossed the map. With a cloaked banshee ravaging his mineral line unopposed, sOs dove into a field of missile turrets and cyclones. The effort fell short as the series moved to a fifth game.
- Game 5: Maru opened game five with a medivac-less stim timing. sOs scouted the marines, but poor forcefields allowed Maru to sweep up the ramp, into sOs' main. sOs had no hope of defending and left the game, sending Maru through the semifinal.
Dark and Maru advance to the second semifinal semifinal on March.
The semifinal between soO and Stats will be played on Wednesday, Mar 21 9:30am GMT (GMT+00:00)
Recaps by: Mizenhauer