Game recently made this thread showing a VOD of a replay with this neat plugin that I hadn't seen before depsite it being around for a long time. However, it's not easily accessible because it's incompatible with the current launchers and version of sc.
I just had to get that working! So I did some googling and stuff to get the right files, and some fiddling to make it work. Here is the result!
Initial notes: This doesn't seem to work perfectly. This is probably due to compatibility issues between new replays and an old version of bw.
VOD for demonstration:
1) Copy your entire StarCraft folder to somewhere else. No reason for you to fuck anything up.
These are (except for one) all the files you need! Edit: New hosting site! DL should work again!
3) As the .zip file says, extract its content to your new SC directory - replace everything that gets in the way of this action.
4) Back in the days, you needed the cd (specifically the file "INSTALL.EXE) to open sc. Yup, you'll need to get hold of that file somehow. For those of you who like me still have your bw disk, just open the main dir on the disk and copy INSTALL.EXE to somewhere on your computer (this can just be to your new SC dir, which is what I did). EDIT: You can now download INSTALL.EXE here!
5) Go to your new SC dir and open "BWLauncher", which should look like this:
5a: Click on "Set Install Path" and find INSTALL.EXE 5b: Make sure BWTVObserver plugin is set to "Load on start" 5c: Highlight the BWTVObserver plugin and click "Configure Plugin"
BWTV Mode's two options: 640*480 is when you wanna obs without all the info (apm and such). 800*600 is when you wanna obs with all that info.
For the FP view effect, check: Unit Selecting, Unit Pinging, Screen Interpolating!
When watching a replay with this plugin you'll need to know the hotkeys for controlling it. Click "Readme" to find these!
Don't worry about the other stuff... The "Detected players" and "Now Obsing" info is only there on my screen shot because I just watched a replay - it does this automatically.
Finally, click the X to get back to the main screen of BW Launcher.
6) Click "Run 1.13e!" to start sc. Load up a replay, but as I said earlier: "This doesn't seem to work perfectly". It works with most older replays, though I've also gotten it to work with game from patch 1.16.1 (as you see in the VOD). I'm still not sure exactly what is causing this problem, nor if it's fixable. Expiriment with it and you'll see what works and what doesn't. And please let me know if you know what the problem is or even how to fix it!
And that's pretty much it, I think. Please let me know if you have any trouble making it work, or if I forgot anything!
Last edit: 2011-11-03 01:27:25
Phyrigian New Zealand. August 28 2011 07:26. Posts 1295
sweeet fuckin deal bro, sorry swearing has to be the first post this is awesome haha.
edit: gonna set it up now. edit2: well the Power cable that powers my second hard drive is what powered my cd rom drive, only thing is i cant have one or the other the damn cables dont reach lmfao. but im sure it will work when i get the chance. otherwise thanks.
Last edit: 2011-08-28 07:41:07
joined TL.net in 2006 (aka GMer) - http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=41944#2
I found out about this when I torrented some rather old NaDa FPVOD Pack from an IIRC 2001 MSL, and was in love with it, until I found out it had been discontinued and was no longer developed/supported for more recent patches. Now you make me want to go back on my scars, my lost hope; PenguinPlugin, please don't disappoint again.
BW4LYF . . . . . . PM me, I LOVE PMs. Yum Yum . . . . . Long live "NaDa's Body" . . . . . . Fantasy | Bisu/Best | Jaedong . . . . . Keep up Community, search "Call Me Maybe!"
sabas123 Netherlands. August 28 2011 08:59. Posts 1172
FYI guys if you did the 1.15 patch thing to get the game to work without a cd for both vanilla SC and Brood War, you can just copy Starcraft.mpq and rename it to Install.exe (the reverse of the operation that was done to get vanilla SC to work without a disc)
"If you don't drop sweat today, you will drop tears tomorrow" - SlayerSMMA