2. There is a memory where many of us were together many years ago. But one by one they have slowly forgotten until only you remember. That time is now yours, it only continues to exist through you – they’re gone.
3. Do you believe everyone else is thinking about you? Looking at you? That’s making you nervous that you think they’re all focusing on you? But look at what you’re thinking about. Are you worrying about other people? Who are you staring at, judging? Nobody? Now realize they all have their own problems and don’t care about you either.
4. Begin each day with no thought for the failures or successes of the last.
5. Then do the same for each moment.
6. Smell the fucking roses.
7. Don’t keep yourself just in the bubble where you can understand yourself perfectly. Allow yourself to grow and exist in ways outside of your own control or understanding. The box is comfy and safe and you need to move beyond it to mature.
8. One step back, two steps forward.
9. Don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
10. Lifeguard at the Olympics.
11. Quitting is easier than getting hired.
12. Try to make a pencil by yourself. Build a boat and sail to the rainforest and harvest the rubber for the eraser. Sail to the mines and blast a quarry by yourself to smelt ore for the metal. Fell a tree and process the lumber. Then the graphite, the paint…
13. Think about who made the sidewalk you’re on.
14. There is always something next.
15. Simplicity is the final achievement. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art.
16. If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music.
17. A shovelful of sand.
18. Clarity is a myth. There is only acceptance.
19. Rat in the drainpipe.
20. Politics is an extension of business by other means.
21. When you check out, will you ask, what was the point of this or that?
22. What will you regret doing or not doing?
23. If opportunity knocks but once, install a doorbell.
24. Only an idiot competes for something that can’t be won.
25. If the wanting is better than the having…
26. Carry a briefcase, you’re not a highschooler, lose the backpack.
27. Don’t spend any more time considering where you belong. You belong where you are.
28. Life’s too short to deal with other people’s insecurities.
29. Catching a fly in your hands and it escaping when you open your hands to check whether you killed it.
30. Your life is a random sample of the planet with a sample size of 1. With that variance don’t be too proud of your fortunes or discouraged by your misfortunes.
31. What are you waiting for?
32. Free yourself from want and free yourself from loss.
33. It’s not “do I deserve this or that” but to do your sincere best and wait and see what the world decides to give you.
34. You are already dead. Every day and moment you get to pretend the opposite is a gift.
35. Don’t expect the expected.