I love old games. That's probably the main reason why i don't even bother to buy a comp ( also i'm a cheap bastard :p ).
I love "classic" games. Even if i play them years after their release, i still enjoy it and i acknowledge that they deserve their true classic status.
So i have just completed Torment lately and although there are many things that weren't that great about this game ( gameplay / difficulty / bugs / me having a somewhat bad english ), i have to admit this was a really good game, almost like a book. True art. Lot of emotions.
( I know Deionarra's theme might be better but ... )
Same thing happened to me when i played moto racer 1 and diablo 1 like 8 years or so after their release. OK don't flame me because i make a comparison with Torment, but although they are different kind of games i enjoyed playing it a LOT. I mean i had a lot of prejudice about diablo ( " Lol stupid hack'n slash" ) but i felt that the ambiance was really good.
The Tritram theme is just one of the best song in video games. This is so great:
This song alone makes diablo 1 worth playing. Now i despise D2 and his horrible monster/level design and poor atmosphere.
Same for moto racer 1. Although i have a very limited experience of cars/bikes games it is probably the funniest i have ever played ( with mario kart Snes ofc ). It is so arcade-oriented and fast paced that even many years after its realease i liked it
I used to do like 90% of this track on wheeling lol
So enough of babbling about the forever awesomeness of old games even when they age.
I just want to play more classic games and i have some questions.
- Which good Deus Ex 1 mods should i play ? ( I'm mostly interested by scenario/dialogs/difficulty/ so i don't really care of a mod about new coold weapon and stuff like that... ).
- Should i play System Shock 1 before System Shock 2 ? ( System Shock 1 gfx might be really too bad fo my eyes even if usually i don't complain about gfx and i'm not a difficult guy )
- Same question with Thief 1/2/3
- Someone know where i can find Civilisation 2 fantastic world ( map / mod pack ) for free ? ( i have already civ 2 ).
List of cult classics i need to complete:
Arcanum ( i have played it a bit but i don't have the game anymore )
Fallout 1 / 2 ( same )
Kotor ? ( many people name this game in the good games threads )
Jagged alliance ? ( My dear 0xdeadbeef always talk about this game ) It looks a bit like commando ( i enjoyed it a lot ) so i might try it when i will have some free time.
- Vampires but i will need a new comp.
- Master of Orion
- Maybe Icewind Dale 2 even if it is not that good, it can be somewhat challenging.
Any other idea ? ( No games after 2001 because my comp can't run them ^_^ ) So no NwN, Bioshock, Half life 2 and so on .
When i will have played all those games ( or if Dx3 is good which i doubt ) i might buy a new comp and try the newer stuff :p
List of "classic" or decent old games i have completed or at least already played a lot so don't name them again ;D
+ Show Spoiler +
- half life / CS
- Unreal 99 ( i should try Unreal 1 i guess )
- Soldier of Fortune
- Duke nuken
- Q3 ( but i prefered UT anyway ).
- Doom ( dunno which versions )
- GTA 1 and 3
- Operation Flashpoint
- Project IGI
- Max Payne 2 ( although i played the 1 a bit ).
- Icewind Dale 1
- Nethack ( but too hardcore for me lol )
- D1 / D2
- Dungeon Keeper 1/2
- Command and Conquer / Red alert / Tiberium Sun
- AOE 1-2
- Civ 2/3 ( and 4 but not on my comp lol )
- HOMM 3
- Settlers 2/3
- Dwarf fortress
- Battle for Wesnoth
- NFS 2/3/4
- Moto racer 1/2
- Destruction Derby
- The old Fifa/NHL ( 98 and 2000 )
Super old and anyway i don't want to play this kind of super old games because i would cry ( nostalgia factor ) and because i'm > 20 now
- Some of the Commander Keens ( 1/4/5 if i remember. So oldschool )
- Raptor ( oldschool again )
- Rayman 1 ( and 2 but it sucks )
- Some of the old Disney platform games.
- Most of the Snes classics ( Chrono trigger / SF2 / mario kart / gradius etc ... ) anyway i'm talking about computer games.
+ some more that i forget but are probably not as good or less known.
I know i should play a lot of really good "click and point" adventure games by Lucas Art but that's just not my kind of games. I prefer RPG with great plot / FPS with a lot of action / RTS but after bw everything is boring except turn based games / Race games ( for fun ).
P-S sorry for poor English.